Saturday, February 23, 2008

HELP!!

Ok, so I need all the advice that I can get. For those of you who don't already know, I have this problem with letting Sadie sleep with me all night. I was so strick when I had Bailee, and NEVER let her sleep with me. However, I got to take two naps a day from my lack of sleep at night. Now that I have two kids, I can't take naps anymore. SO, about 3 months ago, I started putting Sadie in bed with me so that I could get more sleep. It did help, I get tons of sleep and I can function great during the day. The downside, is that I think I have started a bad habit. She will wake up 15 minutes after I lay her down in her crib at night...annoying. So I give up and put her straight in bed with me. Does anyone do this or have this problem? Or did you have this problem and how did you fix it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

13 comments:

california smiths said...

My only advice would be to let her cry it out once. It is terribly hard, but I swear it only takes once (maybe twice :), but kids are amazing and get into new habits fast.

Jon and Ashley said...

I agree with Tawni. It is hard to let them cry it out, but soooo worth it. The longer you wait, the harder it will be too. You can always go in, if your heart is breaking, but don't pick her up. Just try to comfort her.

Kristin Bishop said...

Don't you just love being a parent! Jarom and I had a few discussions (and by discussions I mean FIGHTS) about this because I was so worried anything and everything I did was "ruining" him. I laugh now...because there is nothing you can do to ruin them...until they are much older at least...ha!

Anyhow, We were just the opposite, Jarom wanted to rock him to sleep EVERY NIGHT and then try and trick him by laying him down really slow...you get the picture. If jaxson woke up during mid-laying him in the crib...we had to start all over. I put up with it for a bit...because I thought it was cute for jar to want to rock him...then I finally Freaked:) I decided one night that it was ridiculous...and let him cry. It was sooooo hard and made me feel so so so guilty...and yes, jarom stared at me like I was heartless the entire evening! How's that for role reversal...the mom the heartless one!

Anyhow...it took jaxson three nights. Three nights that's it...and he will go from wide awake and playing....to sound asleep in less than five minutes. Jarom wants to kiss my feet...and I STILL occasionally make him tell me I was right!

If I take jaxson into his room and hand him his favorite blanket...he sometimes starts to wimper because he KNOWS what's coming...but I lay him in his crib and he has not cried once...not for naps or bedtime...in several months. I swear...they are like puppies...you can train them to do almost anything!!! ha ha ha.

Good luck...and I'm proud of you for taking charge and improvising when you needed to...New moms need to get their sleep! Sometimes we do things that are against our better judgment JUST because at that point in time SURVIVAL is the most important thing on the list that day!

Chelsie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsie said...

Hey Pam. I just barely went through the same thing with Cooper. I would hold him until he fell asleep then as soon as I put him in his crib he would wake up. He didn't know how to put himself to sleep. I tried the cry it out thing, and though I know that it works for some babies, it didn't work for Coop. He would just cry harder and get himself worked up and would cry through the whole duration of all of his naps and the night...no fun. We ended up just letting him sit in the living room with us until he was almost asleep, then put him in his crib and turn on his mobile. Then if he started to bawl when I layed him down, I would comfort him until he was asleep...I wouldn't pick him up...just occasionaly rub his arm and tell him he was ok. Then if he would wake up again while he should still be sleeping, I would do it again, never picking him up....it took about a week, but now I can just put him in his crib, turn on the mobile, and walk out, and he'll fall asleep on his own and sleeps through the night. Good luck...I hope one of the methods works...and you get your sleep!
This article really helped us:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pediatrics-1429/9-month-old-fights.htm

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Pam- all those things that everyone else said sounds great. It is SO hard to let them cry it out sometimes, but it is SO worth it in the end! It is hard for a couple of days-you and Jake may fight during it- Cole and I did- but it really does work in the end. Just like the others said-STICK TO YOUR GUNS! Don't pick her up if you feel like she should still be sleeping! Just go in-give her the binkie- then leave. Don't say anything, change her diaper, or anything like that. Just stick the binkie in-and leave. HARD, but works wonders. If she doesn't take a binkie, try just rubbing her belly, or rocking her crib, or something like that. You can DO IT!!!!! Good luck.

Callisters said...

Good Luck! Olivia has been sleeping with me for the last five months because she hates her crib and I too just wanted to get some sleep. For the first 11 months of her life she did pretty well in her crib, but then all the sudden the sight of it made her cry. My kids have never stopped crying when I put them in their bed. Literally they would cry for hours and never let up and if they would when I would go check on them they would be poopy so I would have to wake them up and chnage then anyways, so that trick doesn't really work for me. So last night was my first night putting her back in her room. I made a bed on the floor and she did great, so I think here in a couple of weeks I will go get her a toddler bed. So I know everyone will think I am crazy, but I would probably have her sleep with me until she got older. Carson's theory is when they are older I will be sad that they don't want to ever lay by me, so enjoy it! (Side note: You learn all the tricks of being romantic with your spouse while not being in your bed!!! Ha that is the trick of the whole thing!)Good luck, sorry if I gave you more info then you wanted!!

Lisa Summers & Fam said...

Pam, I have struggled with this too. My boy thinks the umbilical cord is still attached, but for the last 2 months I think I fifna;;y kicked it. Remember it takes 21 days to become a habit, so whatever you chose to do do it a month before you change the idea. My pediatrician told us to make the same routine for all of us at night so that he is ready to go to bed. I took the side of the crib off and just put a pillow by him. We get take a bedtime bath, dressed in pj's, brush our teeth, say our family prayers, read scriptures(really helps with boring them), and then light out. I sing primary songs to my kids, right before I leave their rooms and they both hum along. I think it totally brings the spirit in and makes them feel more safe.

Lisa(Perkins)Summers
summers_lm@yahoo.co.nz incase you want an invite to my blog. It is so good to see what you are doing.

KJ said...

That is a hard one!!!! Our kids still don't sleep in their beds most (pretty much all) of the time. If they come into our room though, they have these little couches that turn into beds, so we put them next to our beds and tell them they have to sleep on them, not in our bed, but Sadie is too small to do that right now, so I guess I'm not much help. When they were that small, we did make them stay in their crib and cry it out like the other gals suggested.

I loved reading about both kids. My Damon is a little "mess pot" too. I think he might drive me to the "looney bin"... he.he...he's into EVERYTHING!

Your kids are darling.

Take care and best of luck on the "sleeping" issue. Let me know if you figure out something miraculous.

Katie

Rieck Family said...

Your so funny! Sorry I have no advice. I never had that problem. My friend did though and she said the same thing someone else did...Let them cry it out. It only happens a few times!!! Good luck cute mommy!!!

Jamie and Brady said...

Let her cry, and go vacuum so you can't hear her. It works. Don't cave in or else you have to start all over and all of the crying was done in vain! It only takes a few times at the most.

Rieck Family said...

Hey! Good to hear from you. Hows the sleeping issue? Hope ok. Well, we are just wanting to move somewhere different in St. George. Not a move to a different place, just a different house! The market is terrible though, so we are not planning on it happening too soon!

Mel said...

Hey Pam! This is Mel (Andrea's little sister) I don't really have a lot of advice for you seeing as I don't have kids, but I just wanted to say thank you. The post that you made on my page about my miscarriage meant the world to me. As stupid as that sounds it really did. You are one of the sweetest persons I know and I wanted to make sure I told you that. This trial in my life has been one of the hardest things that I've ever been through. We want to start our family so bad and we have been so patient and watched all of our friends starting their families right before our eyes and it has been a definate trial, but I really appreciate the kinds words and thoughts from people who have experienced something similar. I also want to thank you for being such a good friend to Andrea. Your love and support to her through her hard times has meant a lot to her and our family. We all love you! Take care Pam! And by the way... your girls are ADORABLE!!